In CAMWorks the sort operations command allows you to sort operations in a logical machining sequence based on user-defined sort rules. When you activate this command the dialog box displays two tabs:
– PROCESS TAB: the options on the Process tab in the Sort Operations dialog box allow you to establish the rules for sorting operations. These options are used in conjunction with the conditions that are specified on the Sort tab. Here we have three options:
– By setup: within each setup, operations are sorted according to the following rules:
Based on the Process complete feature option, operations will be grouped by feature.
The operations will then be sorted according to the Sort by condition as specified on the Sort tab.
Next, the operations will be sorted based on the optional setting of the Then by condition as specified on the Sort tab.
The operations will then be sorted from the highest to lowest Z face of each feature.
Finally, depending on the setting of the Override operation feature list parameter, operations with multiple features will be sorted from the highest to lowest Z face of each feature.
– Across setups: this strategy sorts operations with the goal of minimizing tool changes, which is common with rotary axis machining. The order of processing operations for a Setup is dependent on the order of the operations when the command is run. The order is also influenced by the Across setup direction and Setup change options.
– By and across setups: the goal of this strategy is similar to Across setups except that the operations within each setup will be sorted according the By Setup rules first, the sort across setups is done.
– SORT TAB: The Sort tab in the Sort Operations dialog box provides options for sorting based on the operation type and tool. These options are used in combination with the options on the Process tab.
– Sort by: defines the primary sort method. Sorting always requires a primary sort method.
If set to Operation type, the operations will be sorted according to the order in the list box. The default operation order is defined in the Technology Database. The order can be shuffled using a drag and drop approach.
If set to Tool, the order is specified by the tool list order. This order can also be shuffled using drag and drop. When sorting by Tool, the tool order can be a function of either the Size of the tool or the Station number.
– Then by: defines an optional secondary sort key. If the primary sort key is by Operation type, then the secondary sort key would be by Tool.
Without sorting operations:
After running the SORT command: